- Cot (when available): 6 month layby, 3 month layby, 2 month layby
- Bunk (when available): 6 month layby, 3 month layby, 2 month layby
- Junior bed: 3 month layby, 2 month layby
- Table and stools set: 3 month layby, 2 month layby
- Toddler bed: 3 month layby, 2 month layby
Got a question? It should be covered off here! Topics include materials, making time, mattresses, product assembly and care, shipping, returns, warranties and payment options (including Layby). Product specs and measurements can be found on each product page too, but if you’d like to talk to a real person, give us a call on 0800 PLYHOME.
- Who designs & makes Plyhome furniture? We do! Plyhome furniture is proudly designed by us from our workshop in Petone, Lower Hutt, NZ.
- What is it made from? All Plyhome furniture is made from 12mm Finnish Birch Plywood. We know this seems weird when NZ has a strong forestry industry, but Radiata pine just can’t beat the birch we’ve chosen. Finland’s cold climate ensures slower growth, which means a consistently high quality grain. It’s also very, very durable: incredibly strong in fact. You can read all about why we chose this sustainable species of timber here.
- What is Plywood? Plywood is best described as pressed timber. The 12mm birch plywood we use is a panel made up of 9 thin multiple cross-banded veneers, each 1.4mm thick. In non-engineering speak, this means that each alternate layer is laid crosswise (so the grain of two consecutive layers form a 90 degree angle). This results in reduced expansion & shrinkage and increased strength. Plywood uses the entire log in the manufacturing process resulting in minimal waste. Read more about why we chose this particular species.
- What is the finish used on your furniture? All Plyhome products have a smooth, clear finish on the flat faces to protect the grain and provide a durable surface. The edges are finished with a water-based varnish. Both are non-toxic and comply with all NZ, Australian, European, US & Canadian standards for safety and emissions.
- Is it strong? Definitely! All our products are extremely sturdy and durable. Find out more.
- What’s this ‘grown-up aesthetic’ you talk of? Pleased you asked! At Plyhome, we think that although kids use our furniture, there’s no need for it to scream “I am kids’ furniture” with the way it looks. Our thinking is that it should blend into the rest of your home and be something that can outgrow your kids. The junior table, for example can be happily used as bedside table or side table once the kids are big.
- I don’t like flat-pack furniture. What’s so different about Plyhome? Everything. It’s still flat-pack, just not as you know it. 14 months of product development went into ensuring it not only looked good but is a high performer too. Easy Assembly: no screws, bolts or Allen keys. The instructions are ridiculously easy to follow – if you actually need them. We tested some kids, and they put a bed together intuitively. Plus, if you ever need to disassemble the furniture to move houses, it’s just as easy to do that too, with no annoying little parts to lose. You’re welcome. Quality materials: no MDF here buddy. Just premium Finnish birch with a beautiful wood grain (and that’s REAL wood grain with a clear coating over the top, not some awful fake engineered wood grain by the way). Beautiful design: We love clean lines in furniture, without screws. Simple really. Once you understand, you can’t go back and you’ll start seeing screws in other furniture everywhere you look. Sorry about that.
- Will my furniture look like the website photos? Design-wise? Absolutely. But because Plyhome is made from a natural material with a genuinely natural woodgrain, each and every piece has its own unique appearance. In a mass produced world, we think that’s kind of a big deal. The product images on our website are intended to represent the natural material we use and show its various characteristics, but they can’t show all possible variations in colour, texture and grain.
- How do I assemble my furniture? Depends on which item you have purchased. But this isn’t “assembly by brute force”. We’d like you to use an approach you probably tell your kids: “gentle hands please”. You will be emailed your instructions with a link to a 3D step-by-step animation. Don’t fret if you prefer paper, a visual step-by-step guide will be in the box too). Have a helper on hand if you like, but one person can totally do this solo. If you get stuck, we’re here to help! Just call 0800 PLYHOME and we’ll walk you through it, or email email@example.com with the words “HELP ME” in the subject line. If you need to disassemble your furniture, it’s a simple process too. Again, instructions will be emailed to you and will be in the box. Plyhome is built to take the knocks, but really rough handling may damage it, so just take care before pulling it apart.
- My kids think they’re superheroes. Can your furniture be repaired if they damage it? Yes! Our furniture is built to be able to take the knocks. But even our stuff has its limits. If your kids have been really rough on the furniture and they manage to ding or scratch it, we can repair it. You don’t need to send the whole item to us, just the part that’s damaged – but call on us 0800PLYHOME and we’ll get you a quote and explain how it works.
- Can I buy without a mattress? I already have one. Of course! The mattress is an optional add-on for the cot, the single bed and the king single bed.
- Do I need to think about a specific mattress size? Sure do. The Plyhome 4-way cot is designed for a mattress 1200mm x 600mm. This is the UK/Euro standard size and ‘old’ NZ size. We recommend a mattress depth of 150mm. The Plyhome junior bed is available in two sizes, and takes a standard NZ Single mattress (910mm x 1880mm) or standard NZ King Single mattress (1070mm x 2030mm). Again, we recommend a mattress depth of 150mm.
- How long will my furniture take to get to me? Plyhome isn’t mass produced, each piece is hand-finished with pride. That takes time as opposed to just rolling off a production line. Our current production schedule currently takes 7-10 working days from confirmation that your order has been processed (payment received) to make your item. Please then add shipping times on top of that (see ‘Shipping’ – below). We will update you once your item has left the workshop and again when it passes through several delivery stages.
- Can you do urgent orders? Depending on our production schedule at the time, it may be possible: we have been known to work miracles, so it’s worth asking. Call us on 08007594663 (0800plyhome) or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Can you do bulk orders? Yes, provided generous notice is provided. Because it’s built to last, and packs down easily, Plyhome is perfect for commercial environments too.
1. How much does Urban Delivery Cost?
Zip. Nada. Zero. Urban addresses nationwide are free. You're very welcome.
2. How much does delivery to Rural addresses, Hauraki Gulf Islands and Stewart Island Cost?
As much as we'd dearly to love to answer this question the same as above, we just can't. All Rural Delivery addresses, the Hauraki Gulf Islands and Stewart Island have an additional delivery fee, which is charged separately. But we are super upfront about it before you go ahead, and we just charge you the cost to us of delivery. No extra admin fees or anything.
OK, so how much am I looking at then?
The rural delivery fee is entirely dependent on the size of your order and your location. Our most expensive rural delivery so far has been $375 and our cheapest has been $100. You can add the shipping cost into your laybuy plan if you prefer.
Here's how rural delivery/Hauraki Gulf Island/Stewart Island deliveries happen:
- Email us with your delivery address
- We'll get back to you within 2 hours with a quote.
- If you're happy with the quote, you can either go ahead and place your order online and get an invoice for the rural shipping separately (payable by credit card or online banking) OR, you can add the rural delivery charge into your laybuy plan: we're happy to do that, just let us know how you'd like to approach it.
3. How long will it take for my furniture to get to me?
Delivery guidelines are: North Island Metro (1- 2 days), North Island Rural (up to 3 days), South Island (up to 5 days due to current roading and train network over-demand). Definitely let us know if you have an urgent deadline though, sometimes we can work miracles.
4. Will I know when my furniture is arriving?
Yes, absolutely! It's an arranged delivery service, so it's delivered at a time convenience to you.
5. Does some-one need to be home for delivery?
Yes. All our deliveries need a signature as proof of receipt. While our freight partners provide a door-to-door service, this doesn’t include carrying boxes upstairs, the placement of items or removing packaging.
6. Can I track my order?
Sure can. Once you’ve placed your order, you’ll be informed by email when: Your payment has been accepted, your order has been started, your order has left our workshop in Petone. This email will have a tracking number and a link to our freight partner’s website so that you can keep an eye on things too. For any other tracking questions about your order, just email us on email@example.com
7. Can I change my shipping address after my order has been placed?
If you created an account at www.plyhome.co.nz, you can update your details online any time prior to dispatch, please also email us firstname.lastname@example.org just to be safe!
8. Can your packaging be recycled?
But of course! We're dedicated to sustainability and that goes right through to packaging materials too.
PRODUCT ASSEMBLY & CARE:
- Is your furniture easy to assemble? Yes! That was really important to us as we can’t stand spending hours on flat-pack with complex instructions and hundreds of tiny parts. It’s one of our least favourite things to do. The beauty of Plyhome furniture is that there are no fiddly parts to lose, and the assembly process is simple. You’ll be emailed the instructions (they’ll be in the box too). Just make sure you assemble the furniture on a soft surface (even the box will do).
- How should I look after my furniture? The flat surfaces of your furniture can be cleaned by most household cleaners, but all you should really need is a soft damp cloth. You need to be a bit more careful about the edges of the furniture – don’t use anything abrasive. If in doubt, call us on 0800PLYHOME. Wipe up any spills straight away and be wary that if you place your furniture in direct sunlight it may cause the grain to fade over time. We also recommend that it’s not placed very close to heating or air conditioning ducts.
- I need a replacement part. Can I get one? Sure can. You can purchase any replacement parts/hardware for your furniture by emailing us at email@example.com
All Plyhome furniture is covered by a three year warranty. This covers any manufacturing faults or defects in relation to:
(a) Construction of the furniture products (excluding customer assembly)
(b) Workmanship and manufacturing
(c) All timber related joints and final pre-assembly components
This warranty does not cover wear, tear or damage caused by use, accident, or failure to follow assembly/care instructions. The three year warranty is valid from the date of order and is available to the original purchaser of the product only.
We take pride in the quality and reliability of our designs, manufacturing and finishing, but please always lift and move furniture with care as opposed to dragging it across the floor. Because Plyhome furniture is made from a natural product, your home's environment can impact on its performance and appearance. Strong direct sunlight, humidity and quickly changing temperatures can result in your furniture shrinking, expanding, bowing, splitting and changing colour. None of which are protected under warranty.
To make a warranty claim, email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0800PLYHOME
- What’s your return policy? We know that you’ll love Plyhome in your home, but we do offer a returns policy if you change your mind. You can return anything within 14 days of delivery, but to confirm the returns process you need to: Email email@example.com and ensure that all returned items are unopened in the original packaging, without being assembled or part-assembled. Once we have approved your product return, we’ll provide you with a refund, less the delivery costs to return it to us and a 15% fee for re-stocking. Please note that delivery costs can vary depending on your location and freight options. We will process the refund within 7 days of receiving your returned product.
- What if my product is faulty? We take great pride in ensuring that a quality product leaves our workshop: each item is hand-finished and checked off by actual people not an automated process. But in the unexpected event that you receive a faulty product or, if you have a warranty claim within 12 months of purchase, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number and full details or the fault (including photos if possible). If the product is found to be faulty or the warranty claim is accepted, we will arrange a replacement product, store credit or refund (and of course, we will cover any associated freight costs).
- I want to return an item, but I don’t have the original packaging anymore? If you want to return due to changing your mind, items have to be unused and in their original packaging for us to issue a refund. If you think the item is faulty and you no longer have its original packaging, you can still submit a return claim to us – just email email@example.com
How can I pay for my order?
- You can pay on our website using your credit card (VISA/MASTERCARD),
- Via Internet Banking (after receiving an invoice).
- If you want to take advantage of our Layby option, you need to use our Partial.ly payment system.
- If you prefer to order over the phone: please call us on 0800PLYHOME and we’ll look after you.
Plyhome welcomes payment by Layby and (depending on the products you’ve selected) offers the convenience of 2 month, 3 month and 6 month terms on purchases over $400. We will comply with the Fair Trading Amendment Act 2013 which came into force of 17 June 2014.
available layby terms:
how to pay by layby:
- Shop as normal
- Choose the Layby option as your payment method (partial.ly Part Payments).
- Partial.ly is free for you to use and requires a quick registration process. You can select your layby duration and frequency within our store policy limits. Our Layby terms are outlined in our terms and conditions, which you must read and accept prior to purchasing. Please note that a 25% deposit is required to secure your layby and that you must create an account on our website. We will start crafting your item once payment is received in full.
can the layby be cancelled?
Both parties have the right to cancel the layby. Different rules apply depending on whether it is the buyer or the seller that is cancelling.
- Cancellation by buyer: You may cancel the Layby Sale Agreement at any time before taking possession of the goods. To do this, you need to let us know in writing that you want to cancel the Layby Sales Agreement. A Layby cancellation charge of $60 applies and will be deducted from any money received prior to refunding any balance owed. You will receive a refund of any funds paid, less the cancellation charge. This $60 charge covers the associated administration & storage costs and a re-stocking fee. You cannot cancel the Layby Agreement after taking possession of the goods.
- Cancellation by Seller: If payments are not made on time as agreed, we reserve the right to cancel the layby agreement. We will try to contact you prior to cancelling. A $60 Cancellation Charge will apply to cover administration costs, storage costs fees incurred. If for any reason, beyond our control, the goods are no longer available and no satisfactory substitute can be reasonably obtained, the layby will be cancelled with no cancellation charge and all monies paid will be immediately refunded.
can the layby be changed?
There are to be no changes to the items purchased once the deposit is paid. No individual items will be removed or added to the layby agreement. Once the deposit is paid – the price for the goods is agreed upon and will not be changed. We will not pass on any price increases or reductions that may occur due to the nature of price rises or future discount sales or offers. You are welcome to pay the total due earlier than the expiry of the layby (if you prefer).
what happens during the layby?
You can request a written statement of the layby account at any time by emailing us however you have access to your Layby via the website and also your partial.ly account (free).